Kidsroom Furniture: Best Guide in 2024
A kidsroom has the perfect balance of functional and cheerful design that both the children and you will like. It’s best to include your child in the design process. This works well if you first decide for yourself what the general style should be – classic, modern or romantic perhaps.
Then you can always show the child two or three examples of a piece of furniture and also the wall design to choose from. In this way, your little one will immediately build a personal bond with their new realm, but will not be overwhelmed with an endless choice.
And you don’t end up with a chaotic mix of styles that leads to sensory overload. With our suggestions you can let your imagination run wild and create a feel-good place for your children that is both creatively stimulating and relaxing.
The kidsroom usually combines sleeping, working and play areas in one and must therefore be adapted to the respective needs of your children. To ensure that the room also becomes a cozy retreat, there are a few things to consider when furnishing kidsroom. No problem! With our top tips for designing your child’s room, it will be child’s play. Let yourself be inspired!
Kidsroom Furniture: What you should know
- Fact 1: Walls are particularly susceptible to dirt and scratches. Before you place your furniture, it is best to paint the lower third with a protective layer, a so-called elephant skin.
- Fact 2: Floors are often sensitive – and not the perfect playing surface! So think about a carpet that is best resistant and easy to clean!
- Fact 3: Children grow! Of course you are aware of this, but think about the option of chairs, tables and beds that grow with you.
- Fact 4: What no kidsroom should be without: enough storage space! Shelves, bed boxes and stylish baskets and boxes are ideal for this.
- Fact 5: Would you like to furnish a sibling’s room ? The first thing to do here is to clarify whether the age and relationship of the children are suitable. Then create a personal space for each individual, but also remember to set up common zones.
Happy color worlds and child-friendly materials
Colors are essential for the kidsroom – whether brightly colored or delicately pastel. They stimulate your child’s senses and create a fantasy world to dream and feel good. A harmonious choice of colors gives the room its friendly, open character. A theme world in a color family such as jungle adventures, fairytale forests or underwater worlds can create a fantastic feel-good place for your child.
Of course, you can also use various elements to create a child-friendly place. Sweet motifs on the walls as well as accessories and decorative objects are a good way to add cheerful color accents that spread a good mood. Yellow, for example, lifts the mood and has a stimulating effect, while shades of blue can calm and shades of green can have a balancing effect.
When it comes to the materials of the furniture and accessories in the kidsroom, make sure that they are robust, free of harmful substances and as soft as possible. This means that pointed corners and sharp edges should be avoided when it comes to furniture. Pillows and blankets made of pure cotton with cheerful patterns or prints are ideal. And so that your little one doesn’t get injured while playing and running around on the floor, a soft carpet is a must.
How can I childproof existing furniture? For sharp corners and edges, there is a so-called edge protection that you can attach to the corners. For furniture that could fall over, it is recommended to secure it to the floor with heavy objects. Delicate pieces of furniture can be protected with blankets.
Fun and relaxation in a creative, feel-good atmosphere
The kidsroom should be a place where your child feels as comfortable as possible. A friendly and relaxed atmosphere in which to have fun and relax is essential. What is important here is a harmonious overall picture of colors and furnishings. Stimulate your child’s creativity. In an environment that has been designed with great attention to detail and in which there is always something new to discover. This means the child can keep busy in their room all by themselves.
Design the walls in the kidsroom
Wall tattoos, wallpapers, borders – you can really let your creativity run wild when it comes to wall design in the kidsroom! The only important thing is that you create a child-friendly and playful feel-good atmosphere. Bright, bright tones have no place here, especially when it comes to wall colors . Instead, opt for pastel shades that radiate warmth and coziness. Light wall colors are also ideal for making small rooms appear a little larger. If you don’t want to miss out on bright colors in your child’s room, you can use them as accents in the form of decorations, textiles and accessories.
Extra tip: Paint a wall or part of the wall with magnetic or chalkboard paint. In this way you encourage your child to become artistically active and to design their own kidsroom.
But you can’t just make your little one’s room beautiful with wall paints, wall stickers and wallpaper. You can put the walls in the spotlight with pictures and posters in different designs and the kids’ favorite motifs. They also provide exciting highlights in the facility.
Furnishing kidsroom with functional furniture
The furniture in the kidsroom has to be able to withstand a lot. Therefore, they should be robust, functional and suitable for children. Your little one’s room doesn’t need that much: a cot, a seating area with a table and chairs, a wardrobe and a shelf for toys are all you need as basic equipment. Furniture made of natural or painted wood fits very well into the kidsroom. Wall shelves are also an ideal way to save space and keep things tidy.
If you want to design a small kidsroom , multifunctional furniture in simple, straightforward designs and bright colors is essential. Floating pieces of furniture or kidsroom furniture with thin feet also make the overall picture appear airy and relaxed. A loft bed is incredibly space-saving and perfect for creating an area underneath for playing, working or relaxing. As an alternative to a desk, you can attach a folding table to the wall. This will then only be expanded if necessary. The perfect seating option is a stool or bench with integrated storage space.
Shopping tip: You can find practical kidsroom furniture in the Tuka online shop !
Playful lighting and decoration that brings joy – including tips from TUKA founder Mehmet Kocak
A pretty ceiling light with colorful motifs for children gives the room a cheerful, playful touch and provides enough light for tidying up. It should also be robust so that it doesn’t break while playing around. Other light sources such as floor lamps and decorative table lamps in different motifs also provide beautiful, relaxed light for the cozy corner or bright light for painting.
When decorating, you can let your imagination run wild and also include the children. Together, choose cuddly toys, colorful bunting and wall stickers that make the little ones feel most comfortable. Or how about a homemade letter decoration that you can customize to suit your children? Fluffy textiles such as pillows, blankets and carpets are also an absolute must. They create a cozy ambience in no time and radiate cosiness in your four walls. You can create a cozy retreat for your kids , especially in a tipi or cozy tent.
Extra tip: Use the colors used again and again in the kidsroom decoration to ensure a harmonious and harmonious overall picture.
Ensure the right lighting in the kidsroom :
- Choose a ceiling lamp. This should ideally be dimmable for falling asleep.
- Additionally, choose children’s lamps that do not provide direct light, as children’s eyes are very sensitive.
- Find the right light bulbs: Since the lamps should not get hot, we recommend LED bulbs.
- Now you need a small lamp next to the door when you go into the room at night.
- Last but not least: A small night light in the socket so that your child doesn’t wake up at night and panic.
Kidsroom Furnite: boys vs. girls?
If you would like to set up a kidsroom for your boy or girl , you should definitely involve your little one in the planning and design. Because kidsroom furnishings in blue or pink, as clichés suggest, are not always desired. Many children mainly like it bright and colorful. But simple, gender-neutral furnishings in gray, beige or white are also becoming increasingly popular. This is also ideal for later easily turning the children’s room into a teenager’s room! So sit down with your child and find out which color and theme world they feel most comfortable with.
These styles for the kidsroom are absolutely popular
Designing a beautiful kidsroom doesn’t just involve the right selection of furniture, decorations and accessories. So that your little one feels comfortable in their own four walls, it is advisable to draw a common thread through the kidsroom furnishings. So choose a theme or style together and choose furniture, decoration, colors, etc. to match it. This ensures harmony and creates a harmonious overall picture. Are you still looking for the right theme world for the kidsroom? We have put together our favorite styles for you!
These are our most beautiful ideas for the kids room:
- Modern kidsrooms : Modern children’s rooms impress with their minimalist, straightforward and reserved furnishings. To add some warmth to the overall picture, wooden furniture and cozy home textiles are absolute must-haves.
- Kidsroom in Scandi style : If you want to design a kidsroom in Scandinavian style, you are well served with light colors and natural materials. Fluffy decorative pillows and blankets with graphic patterns skilfully round off the Nordic look.
- Luxury / design kidsroom : In a luxury or design kidsroom, high-quality materials and furniture in a timeless design should definitely not be missing. Accessories should not only look beautiful, but also have a functional and practical use.
- Feng Shui Kidsroom : The Feng Shui kidsroom is ideal for helping children sleep better. Pastel tones in particular have a calming effect here, as do green plants. However, the orientation of the room is very important here. According to Bagua, this should best be in the east.
- Jungle kidsroom : The jungle kidsroom is perfect for little globetrotters. Here wild animals meet a bright and lively color scheme in yellow, beige and green. Elements made of wood, rattan and raffia skilfully round off the look and exude a true safari feeling.
- Indian children’s room : The Indian children’s room offers the perfect environment for children to fully immerse themselves in their fantasy world. It’s best to combine white and gray furnishings with colorful accents. Of course, typical motifs such as tipis, arrows, feathers and dream catchers should not be missing.
- Cloud kidsroom : The kidsroom in cloud style is simply heavenly. You can create a dream bedroom for your little ones, especially with clouds in the form of wall decorations, wallpapers and wall stickers.
- Montessori children’s room : The Montessori kidsroom supports children in developing freely and independently. This is characterized by the division of the room into sleeping and play areas, a bed close to the floor and realistic toys.
Extra tip: This is how you can ensure more order in the kidsroom
Who does not know it? The kidsroom is covered in toys, clothes and books and sometimes it seems as if a bomb has fallen. Things can get really chaotic at times, especially in the playroom or play area . Cleaning up with children can be a piece of cake! If you want to keep your kidsroom tidier , the right storage aids are an absolute must. Crates, baskets and boxes offer great storage space and look super cute in different colors and designs for storage in the kidsroom . Great for adding additional colorful and exciting accents to the interior!
Mistakes you should avoid when designing your child’s room
- The children also need a suitable organization system . The easier this is, the more independent your little one will be when it comes to tidying up. Drawers that are difficult to open or boxes that are at the top of the shelf are out of place here.
- A themed world in your little one’s room is a great idea, as long as the entire room isn’t decorated with their favorite superheroes. Use these in the form of decorations and individual accessories. This means you can easily change the design as the child’s taste changes.
- Good darkening is also essential in kids or baby’s rooms. Children in particular who take an afternoon nap can relax and rest without being disturbed by light and sun.
- Another thing that no child’s room should be without: a cozy corner . Especially as kids get older, they want a place where they can relax undisturbed. This can be either a small Indian tent, a mattress in the corner of the room or even the child’s bed itself.
- Sure – as a toddler, a loft bed is really great! At the same time, parents also enjoy the model because it saves space and is also ideal for siblings’ rooms. However, make sure that your little ones are old enough to climb up and down independently.
Reasons to have the entire kidsroom designed by TUKA Collection
No two children are the same, so why should a kidsroom come off the shelf? This is anything but comfortable. And feeling good is ultimately particularly important in this place. Therefore, avoid a complete set and instead work with your designer to bring out your child’s very personal individuality and taste. This also guarantees absolute feel-good comfort. For a small price you will receive an “all-round worry-free package” from our interior design service TUKA Collection with professional advice on materials, color and shape concepts so that your child feels completely comfortable!
Step by Step planning: A complete kidsroom with TUKA Collection
In five simple and uncomplicated steps, you can use the interior design service TUKA Collection to transform your kidsroom or the entire house into your heart’s project.
- First fill out the online questionnaire about your project on our website. We are not only interested in the dimensions of the room, but also your wishes regarding colors, shapes and materials such as wood, velvet or linen.
- This gives our interior designers an initial insight into your wishes and then creates an initial product pre-selection with specific furniture and accessory suggestions that you might like.
- To discuss this together, there will be a telephone call with your designer, who would like to make you completely happy with your interior design.
- After voting, you can sit back and relax. Because your interior designer works with a lot of love on your personal and photorealistic 3D concept, for which you also receive a shopping page with all the planned pieces of furniture and accessories.
- Now all you have to do is start shopping.
Be inspired by new ideas and look forward to the before and after results of your new favorite project.